Date: 18th November 2017 at 5:02pm
Written by:

Town were unchanged for this one on Humberside and there was no place on the bench for Emyr Huws.

As I suspected, manager Mick McCarthy continued to go with his most attacking formation and it almost immediately paid dividends.

From the first corner of the game, Martyn Waghorn sent the ball into the box and Jonas Knudsen did well to feed David McGoldrick, who drove the ball home at the far post.

Town dominated possession and for the first thirty minutes, as Hull City could hardly get out of their own half.

In fact, it was their first real meaningful attack which lead to the leveler after 34 minutes, when some hesitant Town defending let in Jarrod Bowen, who blasted the ball into the roof of the net from close range, giving Blues keeper Bartosz Bialkowski no chance.

The home crowd had been very quiet until this point but as is always the case, once the hosts scored then everything changes and suddenly The Tigers were a serious threat every time they had possession.

Ipswich started the second half as they had started the first with some attacking intent, and had an early corner too but a breakaway goal changed all that after just six minutes when Webster and the Chambers gave Nouha Dicko a clear sight of goal in oceans of space and he made no mistake with only Bialkoski to beat.

Town battled earnestly to get back into the match and once again they became much more dominant in possession.

Then after a string of yellow cards for both teams Town were given a dubious penalty, when waghorn was felled in or around the box.

Up stepped David McGoldrick but his tame effort was easily saved by the keeper and the score remained the same to the obvious dismay of Town’s travelling faithful.

But all was not lost and on 88 minutes Jordan Spence was the Blues hero with his third goal of the season, as the ball trickled over the line, via the right post to the delight of manager Mick McCarthy and the Blue Army!

I said that I fancied a score draw in this one and put my money where my mouth was, but in all truth, Town should really have put this game to bed long before the halftime interval.


Your Comment