Date: 8th October 2010 at 9:53pm
Written by:

It’s been a hot topic among Ipswich Town fans for some time, and this week Vital Ipswich has been asking for your opinions on the striker situation at Portman Road.

Since the departure of top-scoring strikeforce Darren Bent and Shefki Kuqi back in 2005 – not to mention Tommy Miller chipping in from midfield too – the Blues have never looked quite the same going forward. Many strikers have come and gone in that time, with the likes of Alan Lee, Jon Stead and Jon Walters managing reasonable tallies but falling short of the standards of several years ago.

The present day sees Town lining up with experienced campaigner and ‘proven goalscorer’ Jason Scotland, the as yet unrealised potential of Tamas Priskin and teenage England star Connor Wickham, as well as other possible options up front such as young Ronan Murray. Despite the very respectable start to the season for Roy Keane’s side however, there has still been a tendency for the Blues to misfire, most noticeably in recent matches against Scunthorpe and Reading.

With this in mind, we asked you whether you thought Ipswich still needed another striker. Here’s how you voted:

40% = Yes – Still lacking in finishing quality!
20% = No – Scotland, Priskin, Wickham etc will come good
40% = Not sure – Give it a few more games…

Click here to suggest your own poll for the site!

It seems most fans are still yet to be convinced by the current Town strikeforce. Only 20% expressed confidence in the existing players available to come up with the goods up front this season, with the remaining 80% split evenly between just giving them a bit more time to prove themselves or feeling that a new addition was still very much needed. The result is not much of a surprise with something of a common consensus in recent seasons that the Blues have never really replaced what they lost in 2005. With only 13 league goals in 10 games this season – of which just 5 were scored by current strikers – it appears either the boys up front need to up their rate of return, or Keane still has some work to do.

What is your opinion on the Ipswich striker debate? Have your say by registering to post comments or join our forums:

Join The Vital Debate

 

Your Comment